I made some changes to the website today and I thought I’d go through an overview.
I also added a short URL to single posts. It’s alot like using tinyurl, except that you’re not relying on another site’s database to serve the links. It’s quite simple and much safer than using tinyurl or the digg bar. The default permalink style on WordPress blogs is “http://domain.tld/p=?<post-number>”. This is much shorter than the permalink styles that most of us use. It turns out that these links still work and actually redirect to the permalink structure that is setup.
The last thing I did today was change the way the date archive links are displayed on the archives page. I liked how Matt Mullenweg was displaying his links, so i copied him a little bit. This one was a little bit harder to setup, but with some searching through the WordPress documentation, I found some functions that helped me out. Now the links are displayed as “Year: January / February / March / etc…”. I put options in the function to optionally make the years links, choose the seperator, and a class name for the years. Each year is a list-item, so I have the function call enclosed by an unordered-list.
As I was making these new changes, I realized that I have good plugins in my functions.php file right now that I should probably publish as plugins. The first one is a change that I made last week that counts the number of images in a gallery. The second one returns a gallery thumbnail even if the first image in the gallery was removed, which i was having a hard time accomplishing with my last theme. And then that one for my archives.